Summer is the perfect time to enjoy light dishes with friends. For a recent potluck dinner I hosted for some friends, I decided to prepare this Pasta Caprese I found on the Food Network. Personally, any dish that includes basil, mozzarella cheese and tomatoes is an instant win for me. The Pasta Caprese was easy to prepare, with total prep and cook time being around 40 minutes. Try it for your next party!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, cored, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 pound pasta (whole wheat penne or fusilli work best)
- 1/2 cup chopped basil or pesto
- Add the tomatoes and gently toss.
- Marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the basil and lemon zest and season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate and toss occasionally until serving.