After 10 days of fresh food during my jaunt to Israel, I decided to learn how to cook. I'm probably the least domestic person you'll ever meet - my boyfriend can attest to this - so my friends were quite skeptical when I announced my latest project.
As any undomestic goddess knows, it's always best to start off slow when venturing into the kitchen. Rather than attempt to bake a peach pie from scratch, I decided to start with pesto. After having quite a bit of basil and pesto in Israel, I decided it would be the perfect first dish to create.
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine basil with pine nuts and pulse a few times in the food processor.
- Add the garlic and pulse a few more times.
- Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on.
- Add the grated cheese and pulse again until mixture is blended.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Caprese salad